You might have heard the phrase “Excess of everything is bad”. And when it comes to gambling addiction, it might prove as disastrous for you because not only you waste your precious time and energy but also your valuable money which leaves you penurious in the end.
Different forms of gambling are there such as online slot machines, playing cards, live casino games, or sports betting, and all of them can cause gambling addiction regardless of sex, age, education, and profession.
What Causes Addiction to Gamble?
Well, you can never point out any single cause for addiction because different factors such as biological, psychological, socio-cultural, or spiritual causes are involved. If you talk about biological causes, they involve the human’s physiology and genetics, psychological— gambling for reducing stress, escape from boredom, or coping with irksome emotions or circumstances, socio-cultural—traits of games addiction running from generation to generation while spiritual causes include the social anchor that you lack, ultimately leading to your gambling addiction.
Signs of Gambling Addiction
When you don’t know the signs of gambling addiction, it seriously affects your relationships, job, and financial stability. Therefore, we decided to share some symptoms from online research so that you or your loved ones stay away from this disorder.
- Being preoccupied with gambling, such as constantly planning how to get more gambling money.
- Needing to gamble with increasing amounts of money to get the same thrill.
- Trying to control, cut back, or stop gambling, without success.
- Feeling restless or irritable when you try to cut down on gambling.
- Gambling to escape problems or relieve feelings of helplessness, guilt, anxiety, or depression.
- Trying to get back lost money by gambling more (chasing losses).
- Lying to family members or others to hide the extent of your gambling.
- Jeopardizing or losing important relationships, a job, or school or work opportunities because of gambling.
- Resorting to theft or fraud to get gambling money.
- Asking others to bail you out of financial trouble because you gambled the money away.
How You Can Stop Gambling Addiction?
Now when you know the major symptoms of gambling addiction, it is very necessary to guide you on how you can handle or minimize this order. The following are some tips that might help you in this regard.
- First of all, do admit that you are going through this serious disorder. After all, what matters the most is when you are honest to yourself and seriously want to get out of this.
- Sit and make a firm decision to stop gambling.
- Learn to relieve unpleasant feelings in healthier ways. It could be meeting your loved ones, friends, or relatives and sharing your problems or get back to the experts who can guide you in stressful situations.
- Find alternatives to gambling such as sports, music, or meditation, etc.
- Plan your time. Don’t sit idle. Get yourself busy with some hobby or work.
- If all in vain, go for a gambling rehabilitation or consider any gambling addiction counseling.
Read more: How to be a Responsible Gambler?